Wednesday, January 9, 2008

New Year, New Thoughts, New Beauty



A friend, who shall remain nameless, accused me of having some lame images on my blog, so I'm getting my gameface on in the new year. This is a painting by John Biggers--a fabulous painter/muralist that doesn't get his due, if you asked me. My dream is to have his work grace the cover of one of my books someday.

Well, the new year is already underway and I am just catching up. No resolutions, just thoughts and goals in the midst of a new beginning. Here are a few:

Goals
1.) Finish second book of poetry
2.) Finish critical book
3.) Submit new work to at least three journals each month
4.) Cook more
5.) Shop less (this is at the bottom, because it is the least likely goal to be met)


I also did an end of the year survey with some friends and here are some of my answers. I wonder how they'll change throughout the year to come...

Favorite Things of 2007

Favorite books:
1. Blue Front - Martha Collins
2. Repair - C. K. Williams
3. Teeth - Aracelis Girmay

*I didn't read much fiction/non-fiction that blew me away last year.

Favorite authors:
1. Dick Gregory (I had no idea his writing would be so lyrical in places)
2. Martin Espada (He gave a great reading, too...)
3. Lucille Clifton (I just love her all the time)

Favorite places to write:
1. My office (surprisingly)
2. My car
3. On planes

Favorite movies:
1. Music and Lyrics (I know it's cheesy, but I bought the DVD!)
2. The Great Debaters

Favorite television shows:
1. Grey's Anatomy
2. Independent Lens
3. A Different World (I am so grateful for re-runs...)(And where is the reunion show?!)

Favorite music:
1. Stevie Wonder (He's still bad)
2. Chrisette Michele
3. Chris Brown (I hang out with teenagers sometimes, sue me!)
4. Fall Out Boy

I've been writing for the past couple of days, so that's a good sign. Looking forward to the madness that is AWP coming up at the end of the month and readings all over throughout the year. All in all, I'm hoping for a bang-up 2008. Here's to all reading well and writing fire!!!