All I have to say is, Dante Micheaux is one hard-working brotha! Nobody knows how much he was missed from this year's CC summer retreat more than the Blue Collar Scholars--Amanda Johnston and I. What a fantastic experience it was (of course), but we definitely earned our keep. Still, we found a little time to play hard, too :-)
Just a few of my highlights from the week in Greensburg:
- The fellows readings ( I was brought to tears by Joy Gonsalves, Ross Gay, Lamar Wilson and several others)
- Meeting, reading and talking with Tommye Blount (Detroit always comes hard...)
- Hearing Carl refer to himself as Carl "Mica Mica" Phillips (You have to track down Amanda for an explanation on this one)
- Seeing Kelly Norman Ellis' mothering skills firsthand (Benadryl is a lifesaver)
- Photos with Rachel Eliza Griffiths
- Riding in the car with Colleen McElroy after workshop which she compared to a "one night stand"
- Ed Roberson walkin' it out on the dance floor
- The last ditch, roundhouse poem reading on Sunday morning
- Claudia Rankine's high-tech reading at the Westmoreland Museum of Art
- The bus ride and bus driver that got us to the Westmoreland (Rain, shine, sleet or wrong turns...)
- Sarah Micklem
- Making infomercials with Stacy Tolbert
- Writing new poems
- Watching Myronn Hardy work it to "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough"