Friday, August 29, 2008

Exciting News!

I have a poem in the September Collector's Edition of Essence. Thanks to fabulous fiction writer Jamey and brilliant poet and photographer Rachel for letting me know, because neither the press nor the magazine did! (That's a much longer story than I have time to tell...) Even so, I love Essence, always have, and am extremely excited about this, especially since they chose a poem about my Nana. Now that I think about it, it's the perfect month for it because the poem is about another historic event, the anniversary of which coincided with Obama's speech last night. So, if not for the inside look at the Obama family, pick it up for the poetry, but don't go to Border's in Eatontown, New Jersey because my Aunt Robin already bought every copy they had on the shelves :-) Gotta love family.


The next bit of exciting news is that Conversion has been nominated for the Zora Neale Hurston/Richard Wright Legacy Award. This is a huge honor and I'm humbled by it--just check out the other nominees and the past winners of the award. It's a long shot, but I can't wait to get dressed up and step out for the gala in D.C. Macy's here I come!